While arts and culture rarely figure prominently in federal elections, there were some tantalizing promises made during the campaign leading up to the election on October 19.
Now, the new federal government has indicated its intention to make good on the promises… and they have put it in writing in the Mandate Letter to Mélanie Joly, Minister of Canadian Heritage. Here is a sample of what we hope to expect in the coming years:
- Restoration and increased funding for CBC/Radio-Canada, following consultation with the broadcaster and the Canadian cultural community.
- Doubled investment in the Canada Council for the Arts.
- Increased funding for Telefilm Canada and the National Film Board.
- Restoration of the Promart and Trade Routes International cultural promotion programs.
- Increased funding for the Young Canada Works program to help prepare the next generation of Canadians working in the heritage sector.
Read the complete letter here.